The Budwig Protocol is a fantastic example of both external alchemy and “food as medicine.” The basic cottage cheese and flaxseed oil mixture is also, with a few creative tweaks, potentially quite delicious -- wonderful as a meal in and of itself, or as an elegant dessert. Here’s a version that I’ve created. Bon Appetit!
Total preparation time: 15-30 minutes (depending upon how mindfully speedy or mindfully slowly you work)
Servings: two meal-sized or 4-6 if served as dessert
* Organic cold-pressed Flaxseed Oil (Barleans is my preferred brand, but others are fine too, just be sure to get the original and NOT the “high lignan” variety.” Keep refrigerated)
* Organic low-fat cultured cottage cheese (Nancy’s or other brand)
* Optional: Organic low-fat yogurt or ricotta cheese (to substitute for a portion of the cottage cheese, if desired)
* Organic flaxseeds (either brown or golden)
* Organic extra-virgin (or virgin) coconut oil
* Organic raw, unfiltered honey
* Organic spices: cinnamon, nutmeg & cayenne
* Matcha (Do Matcha is an excellent online source, but it’s sometimes available by the ounce at local tea houses, also)
* Cherry juice concentrate (organic if possible)
* Optional: organic whey protein powder
* Chia seeds
* Raw cacao nibs
* Organic berries of your choice: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and/or strawberries -- either fresh or frozen (I usually go for the frozen, to have a larger quantity on hand)
* Organic nuts of your choice: Almonds, Cashews, Pecans, Macadamias, Brazil Nuts
* Organic dried fruit of your choice: dates, figs and/or dried cherries are the ones I prefer
Electrical kitchen devices that you’ll need:
(1) Immersion Blender
(2) Small coffee-bean grinder
STEP ONE: Place in a small mixing bowl:
(1) 6 Tablespoons organic cold-pressed flaxseed oil
(2) 12 Tablespoons organic low-fat cultured cottage cheese. Plain low-fat cultured yogurt or ricotta cheese may be substituted for up to half of the cottage cheese. (My current preference is to use 6T cottage cheese and 6T ricotta.)
Mix together, with an immersion blender, for at least 60 seconds, until the oil is completely absorbed into the cottage cheese (or cottage cheese and yogurt or ricotta mix). If needed, add a small amount of milk, to make it easier to blend. If desired, add 1 Tablespoon of whey protein powder to this mix also. It should end up looking like thick whipped cream, with no separate oil visible.
Helpful hint: this tends to spatter a bit at the beginning, so I usually cup the palm of one hand over the top of the bowl, as I use the other hand to mix with the blender, so it spatters on my hand instead of all over the counter :)
STEP TWO: Then, in a small skillet, warm on very low heat (just until melted & blended):
(1) 2 Tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
(2) 1 or 2 Tablespoons organic raw honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
(3) 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, a couple shakes of nutmeg & a pinch of cayenne
(4) 1/4 teaspoon matcha (a special kind of green tea powder)
(5) 1 or 2 teaspoons of cherry juice concentrate (depending on how fruity you like it)
Add this mixture to the cottage cheese & flaxseed oil blend, and use the immersion blender again, to mix thoroughly.
STEP THREE: Next, place 3 Tablespoons of organic flaxseeds into a coffee-bean grinder. Grind for several seconds, then add into the main mixture:
(1) the freshly-ground flaxseeds,
(2) 1 Tablespoon of (unground) chia seeds, and
(3) 1 Tablespoon of raw cacao nibs (which are quite bitter, so don’t overdo)
These three ingredients (flax & chia seeds and cacao nibs) should be mixed in with a spoon, not with the blender.
Divide this mixture now into two smaller bowls, one for each person; or, if serving for dessert, into 4-6 small bowls; and then
STEP FOUR: Garnish each bowl with your choice of:
(1) Organic fresh or frozen berries. If you use frozen berries, place them first in a separate bowl & cover with hot water, to thaw. A portion of these can also be blended into the main mixture, when you add the coconut oil, etc. to make it more red & fruity
(2) Organic Nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, macadamias or Brazil nuts - whatever are your favorites) -- either raw or lightly toasted, and coarsely chopped
(3) Organic dried fruits -- dates, figs, dried cherries, etc.
Enjoy! It’s best to eat this pretty much immediately after it has been prepared, rather than saving it for later.