In this beautiful qigong visualization practice, we invite the energy of Heaven - all the stars and galaxies - into the palm of our hand, circulate it through our heart-center, and direct it finally into our lower dantian. Wonderful!
Time Required: ten to fifteen minutes, or longer if you'd like
- Sit comfortably on the edge of a straight-backed chair. Place the soles of your feet flat on the floor, about hip-distance apart, directly below your knees. Find a position for your head that allows the muscles of your face, neck and throat to be relaxed.
- Take a couple of deep, slow breaths, inhaling fully and exhaling completely. Let go of thoughts of past or future. Notice the sensations inside of your body. Smile gently and - if you'd like - float the tip of your tongue up to lightly touch the roof of your mouth, right behind your upper front teeth.
- Now, turn your left palm to face upward. You can rest this palm on the top of your left thigh, or hold it slightly out to the side - whichever feels best to you. At the same time, turn your right palm so that it faces your lower dantian (the area about an inch-and-a-half below your navel, in the lower abdomen, a couple inches inside of the body). Let this right palm be six to eight inches away from your body, its very center-point directed toward the dantian.
- Now become aware of the energy of Heaven: the sky, the sun and moon, the stars and all the countless galaxies. Invite this energy of Heaven to flow down into your left palm. Feel it gathering there, like a pool of warm water, or a sphere of light.
- Let this Heaven-energy flow from your left palm up the inner edge of your left arm, into your left armpit, and from there into your heart-center (at the very center of your chest, inside your body). From your heart-center then let the Heaven-energy flow into your right armpit, and from there down the inner edge of your right arm and into your right palm.
- From your right palm, let the Heaven-energy flow into your lower dantian (which your right palm is pointing toward). So now you've created a continuous circuit from your left palm, through your heart-center, to your right palm and into your lower dantian. Continue to draw Heaven-energy into your left palm, letting flow through this entire circuit, ending in your dantian.
- Feel the warmth and brightness of the Heaven-energy gathering in your lower dantian. Enjoy whatever sensations arise with this.
- To end the practice, bring both palms into direct contact with your lower dantian area - as though you were now sealing this powerful energy into your abdomen, where it can nourish and protect you, throughout the day, and longer.
- Your imagination is powerful! Let the visualization be as detailed and/or expansive as you'd like, and allow it to include as many senses as you can (i.e. feeling, hearing, perhaps even tasting or smelling this flow of Heaven-energy, as well as "seeing" it).
- If your mind wanders, no problem - simply come back to the practice.
What You Need
- A precious human body.
- A straight-backed chair (or floor) to sit on.